Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Speed Bump



Asalamu Alaykom,





At school, I stopped two 9th grade girls from playing tic-tac-toe on the freshly painted wall.  They pointed out that someone else had written on the wall first.  Didn't fly with me; they still had to erase what they did.

"Didn't you notice, Miss, that there's a lot of bigger problems in the world?"

"Of course I did, but I'm going to work on the ones in my own little space first before I move on to them."

In light of that conversation, I give you my tough-as-nails sister-in-law who protested in the street for the army to come and fix the local school's speed bump.  It was on that same spot in 2010 where I witnessed a child being hit and killed by a bus.  She felt strongly that accidents like that should never happen again so she stood in the street and demanded action.  It was caught on video and broadcast.

Again, I get that a speed bump won't stop all the problems in the world but GOD BLESS my sister-in-law.  She did her part (mashahallah) to work on what she could.


2 comments:

Party of 5 said...

MashaAllah...good for her for standing up...many lives can be saved; and good for you for sharing Yosra. We must start with the little things...they do add up.

Marie said...

Small actions do make big differences in the world Yosra. I do believe in this. If we start dealing with issues around us, we can change lives and inspire others to do the same.
It was brave from her to stand up this way.
Love to you from France Yosra